Death By Detergent
If you think that laundry detergents are
harmless personal care products for your home, think again.
Laundry detergents were partially involved in the deaths of more than 300
people in Japan in the last year alone, and risking the lives of
possibly thousands more. In the most recent incident in an
apartment building, 350 people were sickened and had to evacuate
their home because of the poisonous fumes.
Most people are under the false assumption
that laundry detergents are harmless soap. In fact, detergents
are not soap. They are petrochemicals derived from crude oil
that may pose a risk to the health of your family.
A 24-year-old Japanese man killed himself
by mixing laundry detergent and cleaning fluids, releasing
poisonous fumes into the air and forcing the evacuation of
hundreds of people from their homes. Another man used seemingly
innocuous ingredients like laundry detergent and bath salts to
take his own life.
Care needs to be taken to ensure that potentially deadly items around the home
that could create accidental
health problems or death, and even cause harm to neighbors in
highly populated areas, are stored in secure locations, if used